1. Edmund Burke, British Statesman,orator, and political thinker of the 18th century is attributed to have said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Based on the readings, and links in this module, describe the many forms of resistance the Jews developed to help resist and deter Nazi evil.
2. In what way does the survival of Primo Levifrom the wretched experiences of the Holocaust, exemplify the success of Jewish resistance against the Nazis?
3. The non- Jews who labored at great personal risk to their safety to save Jews became known as the “Righteous Gentiles.”
Select three of their stories from the many sources in this module. What interested you about their experiences? Discuss how their participation made a difference in the lives of the people they helped. (Select different types of experiences)
Why did some risk their lives to save the Jews, while others remained bystanders and were reluctant to participate?
4. Select (5) of the following individuals. In brief paragraph, show how the courage and compassion of these righteous people helped to subvert efforts by the Nazis to win the psychological battle of demoralizing the Jews. In framing your answer, consider the following points.
What were the motivations behind the actions that these people took?
What risks were associated with their efforts?
What are some of the practical and ethical reasons for helping the Jews?
A. Raoul Wallenberg
B. Wladyslaw Bartoszewski
C. Emanuel Ringelblum
D. Jan Karaki
E. Maximilan Kolbe
F. Janusz Korczak
G. Chiune and Yukiko Sugihara
H. Andre and Magda Trocme
I. Oskar Schindler
5. What is the value of Anne Frank’s story in helping us to better understand the Holocaust? How does Anne’s description of the horrors of the time become the means through which she is still able to experience the triumph of the human spirit?
Landau: PP 192-221
Overview PP 293-294
I Did What Everyone Should Have Done
Mansum (as told to Bleek and Drucker)
Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed
Escape from Sobibor
Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
Angel of Rescue
The Mosaic Artist’s
Apprentice PP 454-455